I have a ledge that extends near my stairs. I have no idea why it’s there.
I’ve thought about it on a daily basis. Does it bother me? Yes…yes, it does. This ledge is some sort of drop off point for everything. It has no purpose. I’ve come to the conclusion that it was created because someone designing our house made a mistake and overestimated where the wall needed to go. Then, maybe the wall was moved back a bit.
In the decision of creating said ledge, I think someone looked at it and said, “Hey, this is really cool! You can put stuff on it…like EVERYTHING. Books, keys, change….”
Today, I knew that the carpet that was placed on that ledge was going into never never land. Today was the day I tackled my nemesis: the ledge of everything.
First, I used a mini crowbar tool to remove the molding. I went around the upper edges of the molding with a sharp knife to separate the paint from the molding. Otherwise, I might just pull the paint off with the molding. Then, I gently pried it off with the crowbar. I try to see where the nails are first and go directly to that point and pry gently. Trying to remove it quickly can end up having consequences of ripped paint and broken molding that will have to be replaced.
Next, I pulled up the carpet.
After I removed the carpet, I pulled up thousands of staples that had been used to attach the carpet. Okay, maybe not thousands, but it just felt like it was an ongoing venture.
I did a lot of research on flooring installation and found this wonderful product called Elastilon. This product acts as a moisture barrier, can be used below or above grade in a home, and helps correct problems that may occur with expansion and contraction. I had some scraps leftover from a floor installation, so I pieced them together for this project. I liked that the Elastilon had a side that was sticky, so I didn’t need to use any glue with chemicals, and I really couldn’t use a nail gun with this because I used engineered hardwood flooring.
I put the pieces of Elastilon down:
I peeled back the plastic on the sticky side of the Elastilon, and placed a board down on it. I left space between the walls and the wood for possible expansion. Hardwood expands and contracts, so it is necessary to leave a small amount of space. I used spacers. You can see a piece of molding will cover the space.
But, I was left with a hideous edge. I didn’t cut super straight and…yuck..yuck..yucky:
Thank goodness I had bought a corner edge and stained it two days before to match the wood. I cut the corner edge to fit and had to cut carefully to allow for the molding to fit. I used a nail gun to put it in, but construction glue would’ve been a great option.
I reattached the molding, and now all that needs to be done is a paint touch up!